Before I talk about my goals for April, I wanted to take a quick look back at March. Because March was just a messy month for me. I never want my posts about goals to look like a trophy case of all the things I've done and plan to do. More accurately, it's about my attempt to live intentionally and steward the things and people God has put in my life well. However, most of the time I fall flat on my face, becoming more aware that I can't do these things on my own, and that I'm continually in need of His grace. And March was a month that I definitely needed grace because it was such a challenge, mostly in terms of my day to day life with my kids. Mamas, you know when your kids' developmental needs have changed, and therefore the routine must change, but your kid didn't exactly wake up one day and say, "mom, my needs have changed, we need a new routine now." But you just gradually realize that what you've been doing isn't working anymore, and you need to find a new routine that accommodates everyone's basic needs being met? Well, that was the whole month of March for me. Judah started waking up at before the crack of dawn everyday (literally). Salem stopped napping. Judah was still lost somewhere between 1-2 naps. I tried implementing quiet afternoon time mostly unsuccessfully. Driving anywhere after 2:00 meant Salem would fall asleep in the car, although he won't sleep at home. Basically, it seemed like everyone's needs were at odds with one another, and most days I was trying to survive without losing my mind. In spite of the challenges, some good things happened, so let's look back at March.
- Plan one date night with Brian as celebration of intimacy Didn't happen. I don't know why. Although we've been faithfully having date night's since October, I failed to plan in the babysitting department.
- Take Salem on a one-on-one date (Judah and I get one-on-one time when Salem is at school) Done!
- Fill out paperwork and complete background check for serving in kids ministry at church (this has been on the list for months, but I really want to do it this month) Didn't happen due to some circumstances out of my control. On the list for April again though!
- Host at least 3 playdates Only had one, but attempted a couple other times and couldn't find a date that worked for everyone.
- Have someone over for dinner Nope.
- Share my faith with at least 1 neighbor using my words I did build relationships with several neighbors but didn't share my faith boldly.
- Finish Restless and get 1/2 way through another book Woohooo! Did this one!
- Have one prayer/dream big session for the blog/direction of my writing, and write my backwards blog plan, per suggestion of Jess Connolly. Man, this was fun. I love dreaming with God and I can't really help but dream, so this was kinda easy. I thought and prayed about where I want to be with this a year from now, 3 years from now, 5 years, 10 years, all the way up to 20 years from now... and I feel wildly hopeful for the future.
- Tweak blog design Nope, changed my mind on this. Going to keep what I have until August when I do a re-fresh of purpose for this space.
- Simplify wardrobe and buy necessary staples for hot weather wardrobe Done!
- Go phone free M, W, F 8am-5pm. I know I need boundaries with the phone but I'm still trying to tweak when that will be. I did pretty horribly with the boundaries I set for myself last month so I'm trying to figure out what works for me. Nope, still tweaking this. Next month I'm going to do phone free weekends.
- Plan something for the kids in my community group to do while the adults discuss. Our group did different things last month and had the kids with us a lot so I didn't really need to do this.
- Work out 4x/week (two times being running) and eat 4 massive salads/week. Thanks to two different running related injuries, I didn't work out as much as I'd like to, but I did work out probably at least 2-3 times a week.
- Institute date nights in with Brian to cultivate intimacy (with out monthly, out of the house dates to celebrate intimacy) Yes! This happened. It has been really good for us and I want to continue to do this. Overall, I've felt connected + united with Brian in a lot of areas that I used to feel distant. I think the Lord has been super gracious to us and given us an extra dose of tenderness towards each other, which we need in this season.
- Write 2x/week Y'all. It's been very hard to blog here or write at all. It's something I need to be totally alone to do, and in case you haven't noticed, I haven't been alone a lot. I also have been needing to draw near to the Lord to let Him inspire me.
- Read the Bible + seek His face This is something that was going really well, but with Judah waking up sooo early (like 5:45-6:30), I haven't been able to get up much earlier than that. Again, time to find a new rhythm.
- Pray for Brian and our sons Working on it! I set an alarm on my phone to remember to stop and pray for them which is helpful.
- Encourage + Speak life to Brian and one other person It didn't happen daily, but there was progress.
Check in and offer prayer to someone from my community group at church. Same as above. Wasn't daily, but there was progress.
Since last month was so crazy, and I think it'll continue into April, I'm scaling back on goals majorly. Basically, I'm chiseling it down to the bare bones of what matters to me the most. I just don't have the margin to do a whole lot of extra stuff right now, which is a little hard for me, but I'm trusting that God is God over my season of life, and He's given me just what I need to do right now. Just as a reminder, I use Lara Casey's Powersheets to help me set goals.
- Date with Brian + keep a record of good. You know how the Bible says that love does not to keep a record of wrongs? Well, I started a record of good, and I want to keep at it.
- Run my first 10k race without walking!
- Finish paperwork to serve at church (leftover from last month)
- Finish 1 book (I'm currently reading Simplicity Parenting and Scary Close)
- Nurture friendships (7 ladies I love + feel called to)
- Implement weekly planning session on Sunday nights. Last month, I felt like so many of my failures were do to a lack of planning. I'm going to try to sit down once a week and make a game plan for meals, planned play dates for the boys, check in with relationships that matter to me, date night in's, planned alone time etc.
- Work out 4x/week.
- Blog AT LEAST 1x/week (although I wish I had margin to do more, and hopefully it'll be 2x/week)
- Read the Bible before reading anything else (social media, mostly)
- Pray, both without ceasing around whomever and getting alone with God
- really listen when people talk, no multitasking and 1/2 listening, which I often do.
And that's it! What's on your plate this month?